To: Caltech Employees
From: Julia McCallin, associate vice president for human resources and chief human resources officer
Date: April 20, 2021
Re: 2021 COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave
Effective March 29, 2021, California updated its requirements for temporary COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave for large employers and expanded the basis for its use. The new requirements are retroactive to January 1, 2021 and extend through September 30, 2021. Caltech has updated its COVID-19 Supplemental Sick Pay for employees unable to work with the following expanded eligibility for use:
- Is subject to a quarantine or isolation period related to COVID -19 as defined by an order or guidelines of the State Department of Public Health, the CDC, or a local health officer with jurisdiction over the workplace
- Has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID -19
- Is experiencing symptoms of COVID -19 and seeking a medical diagnosis
- Is attending an appointment to receive a COVID-19 vaccine, (Caltech will continue to allow you to charge this as regular time)
- Is experiencing symptoms related to a COVID -19 vaccine that prevent the employee from being able to work or telework
- Is caring for a family member who is subject to a quarantine or isolation order or guidelines, or who has been advised to self-quarantine by a health care provider
- Is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed or otherwise unavailable for reasons related to COVID -19
Additional information can be found at https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/2021-COVID-19-Supplemental-Paid-Sick-Leave.pdf. Employees or managers who are impacted should report their illness using the Caltech COVID-19 Reporting link on Caltech Access. Illness or exposures should be reported using the link Report an Illness or Exposure button.
For questions regarding current or retroactive cases, please contact Disability and Leave Unit.